Sacramento Home Winemakers
2022 Jubilee Wine Competition Rules and Information
Date of Competition: Saturday, June 25, 2022
The 2022 Jubilee Wine Competition is only open to members of the Sacramento Home Winemakers (SHW) Inc. These competition rules and instructions are also available on the Club’s website at www.sachomewine.com.
If you are making your wine as a team with other club members, please give your team a name and use that same team name when you enter the wines in other competitions. Each member of the stated team must be a SHW member at the time of on line entry. (Note that if you are planning to compete for the SHW Winemaker of the Year award, you must enter at least two separate and distinct wines related to varietal and vintage.)
Entries are limited to wines produced by members of SHW, Inc. in good standing who are not the owners, winemakers or employees of licensed commercial winemaking concerns, except as set forth below. Members who are owners, winemakers or employees of commercial winemaking concerns, but who are otherwise qualified, may submit wines for competition provided that such wines are made and bottled prior to the effective date of their winemaker’s license.
How To Enter – Entry Dates
This year, entries will be again registered and entry fees paid on line on the SHW website:
- You may enter as many wines as you like. An entry is defined as one (1) 750 milliliter bottle. For sparkling wines, an additional bottle (at least 375 ml) is recommended to maintain sparkle for later judging rounds.
- Do not use capsules or wax of any form on bottles.
- First entry is free; subsequent entries are $10.
- Complete the 3-step on line process to enter your wines:
- Step 1: Register yourself or team. If two or more members are entering a wine, chose a team name and identify team members in “Step 1”. All members of the team must be SHW members as of the date of on line entry.
- Step 2: Register your entry wine. Use the same entrant name as in Step 1.
- A drop down list is provided for specifying each varietal, vintage, % blends, etc.
- 75% of a varietal shall be classified as that varietal.
- Use the “Additional Notes About This Wine” box to list a county or AVA if not found on the drop-down list; if entering several wines of the same year and varietal, designate a different lot for each wine (i.e. 2001 Syrah Lot A, 2001 Syrah Lot B); or briefly state additional information about the entry wine.
- Step 3: Pay for your entries when you are finished entering your wines. Follow the directions to make payment and to finalize your entries.
- After you register your wines on line, you will receive an entry confirmation via e-mail; please use this confirmation e-mail as your bottle label and affix it to your entry. If your entry is a white wine, please cover the label with clear packing tape as the wine will be refrigerated.
Dates for Entering Wines:
Entries open on line on our SHW website on April 11th and close June 1st at 10 pm. Wine entries must be registered and paid for on line, unless a specific request is made. Note that you do not need to be a Pay Pal member to pay for wines on line; please pay as a guest.
Entries will be accepted in the parking lot of the Turn Verein up until 7 pm at our April 20th and May 18th monthly meetings. If arriving with entries after 7 pm at these two meetings, they will be accepted in the meeting room upstairs. Regional drop off locations are available in Sacramento, Granite Bay, and Citrus Heights. Deadline for drop offs is June 1, 10 PM. Please call ahead to make arrangements.
Donna Bettencourt, 5208 8th Avenue, Sacramento, CA, 916-548-3199
Mike Menard, 8355 Hillgrove Street, Granite Bay, 279-465-7565
Joe Morgan, 7620 Woodale Way, Citrus Heights, 916-439-7205
Please contact Chief Judge Donna Bettencourt at (916) 548-3199 for any questions.
Awards and Results
The modified California State Fair Home Winemaking Judging Protocol will be used. Chief Judge reserves the right to collapse or expand published classes. Results will be announced at the Jubilee Picnic on Sunday, June 26th. Certificates for Best of Class winners, division winners, and Best of Show will be awarded at the Jubilee Picnic and will also be published on the SHW website. Medals will be awarded at the August SHW Meeting.