Rex Johnston Winemaker of the Year Selection Criteria
WINEMAKER CRITERIA 2018
The annual winner of the Rex Johnston Winemaker of the Year award shall be the candidate who accrues the most Total Points in the Award Year as follows:
Candidates for this award must be members of SHW, Inc. in good standing who are not the owners, winemakers or employees of licensed commercial winemaking concerns, except as set forth below.
- Candidates who are owners, winemakers or employees of commercial winemaking concerns, but who are otherwise qualified, may submit wines for competition provided that such wines were made and bottled prior to the effective date of their winegrowers license.
- Candidates must certify that the wines they submit for competition are 100% home made wines created by the candidate without any hands-on assistance from a commercial winemaking concern as described above. Consultation with commercial winemakers and educators is encouraged by the Club.
- Candidates must compete in a minimum of three (3) recognized wine competitions during the Award Year. Regardless of the number of competitions entered, the results of only three competitions (selected by the candidate) may be entered in the Winemaker of the Year competition.
- Among the competitions entered, one must be the SHW Jubilee and one must be the California State Fair. The third competition may be any other recognized and organized home wine competition. The “Award Year” extends from December 1st of the prior calendar year to November 30th of the subject calendar year.
- A competition is considered to have been in the Award Year if the actual judging is conducted and medals awarded during the Award Year.
- Candidates must enter a minimum of two separate and distinct wines (i.e. different varietal or different vintage) in each competition.
- Excluding wine scores in the case of multiple entries: The following measures are intended to encourage club members to enter multiple wines in competition:
- When four wines are entered in any competition, the score of one wine may be excluded from the Winemaker of the Year competition.
- When five wines are entered in any competition, the score of up to two wines may be excluded from the Winemaker of the Year competition.
- When more than five wines are entered in any competition, the score of up to three wines may be excluded from the Winemaker of the Year competition.
- Points will be awarded as follows:
No award – 0
Honorable Mention –- 10
Bronze Award –- 20
Silver Award –- 30
Gold Award –- 40
Double-Gold Award – 50
Best Varietal, Best Red, Best White, Best Dessert, Best Fruit,
Best Sparkling Wine, or Best Other – 20 additional points
(Note 1: A wine may win in more than one category, i.e. Best Merlot and Best Red, in which case 40 points would be awarded).
(Note 2: The fact that the award may be termed, “Best of Show, Red”, etc. does not qualify it for Best of Show points as outlined below).
Best of Show (for those competitions which award a SINGLE Best of Show medal) – 40 additional points
Points ÷ Number of Entries = Average Points (Note: Wine(s) excluded from scoring do not count as an Entry)
Total Points: The sum total of all Average Points from all three competitions entered.
Criteria adopted by the SHW Board on July 1, 2009