January 18’s SHW meeting features Randall Grahm, Bonny Doon Vineyard owner and winemaker, who will be sharing his experiences and outcomes of “Poplouchum”, his 280-acre vineyard where he sets out to produce wines of place. Imagine growing vines that produce wines found only in a particular vineyard or spot in a vineyard.
Randall may be one of the most unusual winemakers and viticulturists you’ll encounter. You may think his vision is way out there, maybe too unconventional for the common winemaker.
But then, you’re not an average winemaker, right? Come to the meeting.
Another unique opportunity awaits on Wednesday. Published in 2009, Randall’s book “Been Doon So Long: A Randall Grahm Vinthology” earned the 2010 James Beard Foundation Book Award winner and the 2010 Georges Dubeouf Wine Book of the Year winner. The book is a thoughtful and funny read of parodies, poems, satires, and lectures (a dictionary comes in handy). The difficult-to-find book has been out of print – we are jazzed that Randall is bringing a copy from his own collection for us to raffle at the meeting.
· Meeting starts at 7pm, upstairs at the Turn Verein located at 3349 J Street in Sacramento.
· This meeting is for current SHW members and invited guests only. Have you joined or renewed your dues? If not: 2017-shw-membership-form. Remember to sign bottom of form.
· Don’t leave the house without 2 wines glasses per person for use during the meeting. We’ll be tasting a selection of Bonny Doon Vineyard wines.
· Bring cash for the $5 raffle tickets.
· Your help is appreciated in set-up and clean-up before and after the meeting.
- Consume responsibly.
Meeting questions? Contact Vice President Henry Wilkinson at 916 997-3056.