We swooned over them at the Jubilee and sought out the cook who brought the cheese-filled bacon-wrapped jalapenos.
Member Steve Tankersley fessed up – he’s the one who’s been playing around with these hot little guys. He said he got the original recipe off the Internet where they’re known as Atomic Buffalo Turds or ABTs. Steve writes:
“…I brought the bacon wrapped jalapeno’s, glad you enjoyed them.
They are easy to make if you have a smoker, if not I suppose a Webber might work if you can maintain low indirect heat for about 2 ½ hours.
I recently bought a new smoker and have been trying a lot of new stuff, this one seems to get attention.
· Two dozen large fresh jalapeno’s sliced lengthwise and thru the middle of the stem (keep stem attached). Remove seeds and ribs creating a “boat” for the filling.
· Optional – soak jalapeno’s in Sprite, 7up or Squirt for 2 to 12 hours. This reduces the heat factor of the chiles. Longer the more mild the are.
· Stuff with cream cheese, I used chive cream cheese last weekend. Garden vegetable works well also.
· Wrap stuffed jalapeno’s with thin bacon tightly – I used one slice per half chili, you can adjust. Thin sliced bacon seems to work better.
· Lightly sprinkle with a brown sugar & paprika based rub. I used ½ cup brown sugar; ¼ cup of paprika; 1 tbsp. each of garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper & kosher salt, tsp generic chili powder, ½ tsp Cayenne. Lots of variations of the same thing. It is also a good rub for ribs & chicken.
· Place on rack w/small grates, I use a Bradley rack so they don’t fall through
· Set smoker to 225 degrees for 2 ½ hours. I used 2 oz. of Hickory chunks (not chips) on an electric “Smokin-It” brand smoker (works fantastic). Any good smoker should work with fruit or hardwood. Cut-up old oak barrel segments work well also.
· Remove from smoker and enjoy…”
Not only is Steve a pro at the grill, he’s also does pretty nice work in his winery. At this year’s Jubilee, his wines earned 3 double-golds and 2 silvers, and one of his double-golds won the Best of Dessert award.
We can hardly wait to see what Steve enters and brings to the next Jubilee…